Tuesday, August 19, 2008

If you find me crying in the fetal position...


A preface to my story: I. HATE. SPIDERS.

Honestly, they are my biggest fear. If you were to look up arachnophobia in the dictionary, it would likely have my full name and date of birth. They scare the living piss out of me. I literally have nightmares about finding a spider on my baby and being paralyzed with fear.







So, the other night, in the dim glow of the tv light I was picking up the little pieces of paper things that wind up on my floor a thousand times a day, thanks to Amaya and Kendal, partners in crime. I reached down to pick up some unidentified thing, and IT MOVED! Oh, Mother of all things holy- I just touched a living spider! Living! I can't even touch dead ones. I jump back 20 feet onto the safety of the bed immediately. Amaya is just staring at me like I"m crazy, saying it's ok Mom, and Joe is laughing at my patheticism. He finally gets up and picks the spider up with a tissue, and tries to tell me that it was already dead. Um...last I checked, living things don't move. So, yes it was close to dying, thanks to man's greatest invention-pesticide. Jake, my hero (and bug man) sprays that ingenious liquid all over my house once a month, religiously. But still, it moved, and it was alive and I touched it.






I have heard that one way to overcome your fears is to face them, slowly immerse yourself with them. May I just say that I whole heartedly disagree? My spider anxiety is at an all time high, and I will no longer be picking up the floor in questionable lighting!







Here is an excerpt from the most disturbing website on the web:


Did you know that in seven years if you get bitten by a Wolf spider, you could have no arm left because the wound from its bite eats a centimetre of skin every month and there is NO medicine for the bite. Not all bites cause this reaction, some have been recorded from Black House spiders as well.



















Joe realized the full extent of my fear a short time after we were married:


I was showering in his mother's basement, and when I stepped out of the shower there was an enormous wolf spider across the room. Naturally I am paralyzed with fear, not that I could have run out screaming and crying anyway, seeing as I was stark naked. But nor could I step on it- no shoes. And shoes or not, I've never been able to get close enough to step on a spider. So I grabbed the gel on the counter next to me, and started squirting as much of it as I possibly could, creating a thick pool of goo that was slowing that nasty 8 legged monster down. I kept squirting till he was stuck, and then I grabbed the blow dryer and nuked him...all from a comfortable distance away.... and then I left the mess. Joe came home from work to find a glob of crusty, semi-hardened gel with a dark spot in the middle. All I had to say was "spider" and he understood.

6 comments:

Heather said...

Seeing pictures of spiders and reading stories is difficult for me- I felt like a spider was crawling up my leg the whole time. I am with you sister- I HATE SPIDERS WITH A PASSION. If I ever see one like the one above I will shat my pants and cry like the girl that I am. IT is because of spiders that I hate basements, outside storage units, dark corners, and anything else that is a breeding ground for 8 legged freaks. Love the shower story. I think my next post will be dedicated to you- have I got a pic for you....

Ximena said...

My, oh my. You just gave me the heebie jeebies!

Seth and Brittney said...

I use to be more brave when I was the upperclassman resident assistant on the floor with only scared, 18 yr old, freshman girls... but now that I have a husband, he can practice being a good hubby and politely kill them all and I have no problem with that! Our friends just showed us that they have a pet tarantula spider and I was minorly freaking out, thinking why would you want to purposefully keep that in your house?! I guess some people just like them! Like that guy with the sea spider on his face, yikes!

valerie said...

Why do you look at such horrible pics of spiders and then make us all look at them......not cool!
I remember being in your basement and you MAKING watch that stupid movie....Arachnophobia......and thinking,"I hate Hillary for making me watch this".....I think we were 12 at the time......just thought I would remind you of the horror you put me through those many years ago.....thanks.

Unknown said...

Well dear, that is a big part of why we sweet wives keep our husbands around... bug control.

Jeric and Mickale said...

That is the funnest story I've heard for awhile!! The best is that you still left it for your hubby even after it was gooified (that's not a word but oh well) Those darn little things are the worst!